This article provides a comprehensive walkthrough of utilizing the Embed It widget.
Embed It for Chapter Pages is a dynamic widget tool that lets admins embed various interactive content into Bevy chapter pages, whether to showcase social media posts, videos, discussion forum threads or other interactive elements. It's designed to create a more engaging user experience by simplifying the integration of content from multiple sources through embed codes.
What is an Embed Code?
When you receive an embed code for something like a video or a widget, you can often adjust certain parameters within the code itself. For example, in a YouTube embed code, you can alter settings such as the size of the video player, autoplay settings, or whether to display related videos at the end. Similarly, for a Google Maps embed, you can change the size, location, and type of map displayed.
However, the extent to which you can edit the embedded content depends on the options provided by the platform that generated the embed code. Some platforms offer a range of customization options within the code itself, while others might have limited or fixed settings.
How do Embed It Widgets Work?
Embed It widgets offer a straightforward method to work with embed codes:
- User-Friendly Interface: Embed It widgets provide a user-friendly interface that doesn't require in-depth knowledge of HTML or coding. Admins can interact with the widgets through a visual interface, eliminating the need to manually write or edit complex code.
- Configurability: With Embed It widgets, admins can configure “variables” through a graphical interface. This makes it easy to adjust the behavior of the embedded content, all without having to edit code directly.
- Prebuilt Widgets: Embed It comes with a library of prebuilt widgets for common content sources like social media and video platforms. Admins can easily select these prebuilt widgets and customize them, saving time and effort in sourcing and configuring embed code.
- Custom Widgets: Administrators can create custom widgets with Embed It, providing full control over the embed code and variable options. This empowers them to tailor the widgets to their specific needs, offering a high degree of flexibility and customization.
- Preview Functionality: Embed It widgets include a preview function, allowing admins and organizers to see how the content will appear on their chapter page before finalizing the embedding. This minimizes the risk of errors and ensures the content is displayed correctly.
- Organization and Management: Embed It includes a feature for organizing and managing widgets, enabling admins to enable, disable, edit, or delete widgets as needed.
Accessing and Viewing Embed It Widgets
To get started with accessing and managing your Embed It widgets, follow these basic steps:
- Navigate to the admin dashboard and select the Page Builder tab in the left navigation.
- Select the Widgets tab.
Here, you can see available widgets, check their status, and manage their settings. Enabled widgets are available for addition to chapter pages through the chapter page builder tool.
Viewing Widget Information
In the left column, you can effortlessly access information about the widgets. This includes recognizing them by their icons, names, and noting the timestamp of the most recent edit or update.
In the center column, you can easily determine whether a widget is enabled or disabled.
- An enabled widget is ready and visible for adding to a chapter page via the chapter page builder canvas.
- Conversely, a disabled widget remains concealed from the chapter page builder canvas, rendering it unavailable for addition to the chapter page.
Managing and Configuring Widgets
Within the right column, admins can edit and manage existing widgets, offering a range of actions including:
- Setup: Click Setup to enable prebuilt widget using a default widget ID.
- Preview: All widgets can be previewed to ensure that the correct content is being pulled in.
- Edit: Clicking Edit provides admins various options to manage the widget based on the specific widget types. See Widget Types below for further details.
- Delete: Admins can delete custom widgets. While prebuilt widgets cannot be deleted, they can be disabled. See Widget Types below for further details.
Bevy offers a collection of prebuilt widgets sourced from popular social platforms, enabling you to effortlessly showcase feeds and content from these platforms. You can recognize these prebuilt widgets by the presence of a Star Badge on their icons, and they include:
- X (Twitter) embedded timeline widget
- Instagram posts
- YouTube playlist
- Facebook public page
- Spotify playlist
Editing Prebuilt Widgets
Admins have the flexibility to edit and configure the content ID for prebuilt widgets to establish default content for all chapter pages. However, please note that the embed code for prebuilt widgets cannot be viewed or modified.
To learn more about how to edit and configure prebuilt widgets, see the Prebuilt Embed It Widgets help article.
When the prebuilt widgets won't quite do, the custom widget functionality allows admins to create and embed other external content that aren't part of the prebuilt list.
Here are examples of custom widgets that can be created:
- Discussion Forum Threads: Embed dynamic discussion forum threads from platforms like Khoros, Discourse, etc. directly onto your chapter pages.
- External News Feeds: Embed external news feeds from trusted sources, delivering the latest industry updates, news, and articles directly on your site.
Creating and Editing Custom Widgets
Admins have complete flexibility over embed codes and variable options, allowing organizers to tailor the widget content relevant to their individual chapter pages.
To learn more about how to create and configure custom widgets, see Custom Embed It Widgets help article.
Adding Embed It Widgets to Chapter Pages
Once you’ve enabled and configured Embed It widgets via the Admin Widget tab, the widgets are ready and available to be added to your chapter pages via the chapter page builder canvas.
For detailed instructions on adding components to your chapter page builder canvas, see Chapter Page Builder-Layouts, Elements and Components help doc.